Erik Hofman wrote:
Boris Koenig wrote:

Anyway, I am going to give this also a shot and contact some companies
that provide aerial/satellite image data, could anybody here provide the
details concerning the requirements that need to be met for an image
to be suitable to be used as a texture for FlightGear ?

One meter resolution (one meter per pixel) or better would be great.

Hey, I've found a great "institution" that offers even better resolutions:

        http://www.cia.gov/cia/ciakids/aerial/index.shtml

:-)

Let's go and ask them about releasing their imagery under the
GPL ;-)

For inclusion in the base package we should be allowed to license it under the GPL, and we should be allowed to take parts of the picture to create a new image.

P.S.: I just looked for German satellite imagery, too - I found "D-SAT" - they offer a set of DVDs for whole Germany for about $ 40 US, and for that version they explicitly state:

        "do not use it in order to derive any work from it"

BUT, then there's another version for about $ 100 US, which is called
"D-SAT business" - and that's MEANT for commercial use, they
explicitly talk about EXPORTING images and being allowed to
use it for commercial purposes ... My current interpretation
would be "buy it, and you can sell anything that's based on it" ;-)

So, this would also sound somewhat GPL compatible ...

-------- Boris