Hello Georg,

thanks for your input!

> These screenshots are rather old and made for other purposes. But you may
> see the limits of these low-res satellite data. They are good as a very
> realistic background but you loose important landmarks (smaller streets,
> railway-tracks, smaller rivers ..). As the actual FlightGear scenery is not
> bad for VFR flights (low altitude) I would suggest that low-res satellite
> pics could serve as some background-texture with high reality effect and
> some of the actual data-set (streets, railways, runways, power-lines ...)
> are drawn on top of the satellite picture (must be synchronized). Combined
> with SRTM this would be a really great improvement.

Yes, I agree that landsat textures lack detail in low-altitude scenarios. This
is why I mentioned that it would be a good idea to add procedural textures,
procedural geometry or more detailed textures in specific regions of interest
(e.g. airports).

What I mean with procedural texture or geometry. is the creation of
detail textures and the addition of  geometric models at runtime ("on the
fly!"). This could be e.g. done  based on known landuse (possibly by letting a
classifier analyze the landsat textures at scenery generation time or
runtime), and can be easily integrated with the engine LOD management (so
that detail is only generated when necessary). Additionally,  as you suggest,
it would be great to model roads, rivers, etc. derived from vector datasets.

What is the current way of generating roads etc? Are the datasets used
consistent with the elevation data?

There are a few good reasons why global high-res textures would not be
practical IMO, above all the sheer size (a jpeg-compressed 6degx8deg UTM zone
at 1 meter resolution would consume around 200 GB!), and the problem of
consistent availability. But this is a question of data availability and
handling, given that the engine scales well.

bye,

 Manuel