Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:42:34 +0200, Boris wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The (German) description for the second version explicitly states the "right to export" images and use them 'commercially'.

..that is the precise legal meaning of "Mit der Business-Version
erhalten Sie die Lizenz zur gewerblichen oder freiberuflichen Nutzung."?

no, rather like that:
"Purchasing the business version you'll obtain the license for commerical use"

the exporting functionality was mentioned in another paragraph,
but it is NOT mentioned on the page for the non-professional
version.

.there are license texts for this version?

not sure about that - one would probably have to FIRST purchase the product in order to be shown the "EULA"-confirm dialog :-)

But I was going to send them an inquiry within the next
days, anyway - so I may simply ask them to send me
an English translation of their license, too ;-)

So, I wasn't that sure whether it can be used for FG textures, or
not ...

I was going to ask them about that possibility within the next
days, what I personally consider even much more interesting
than the possible 'permission to use their PURCHASED software to
create PRIVATE textures FOR YOUR OWN USE' would be about the
part 'you're entitled to use it commercially' - because ultimately
one could interpret this as if I am allowed to:

        1) purchase the software, obtain all rights
        2) export images
        3) use them  commercially
        4) create textures - DERIVED from the exported images
        5) "sell" my textures for $ 0.00001 US per set of textures ;-)

..or publish your derived work under the GPL. ;-)

lol, good point - I was just trying to make the point that I'm not so sure whether "commercial use" also means "to give away for free" ... but sure, if the latter is part of your "business" ;-)