Oliver C. wrote:

Here are my results:

With VBO enabled i get 150-195 frames/s
With VBO disabled i only get 90-120 frames/s

So VBO makes a difference of 60-75 more frames per seconds.

I made this benchmark test on a computer with an Athlon Thunderbird 1 GHz CPU, 512 MB SDRam and a Geforce 4 4200 Ti with 64 MB videoram.
The OS was Slackware 10 running a Linux kernel Version 2.4.26 and the NVidia driver version was 53.36.

I'm not quite sure, but I think the problems *I* encounter have been introduced
in driver version 6111.
Before other people think "WOW, FG could run 60% faster!!!", please keep in
mind that an application like FG can't do everything just by using VBOs and DLists.
The test program compares 'brute force' vs. VBO, not 'optimized' vs. VBO. And
fg/sg/plib already do some optimizations.
The maximum possible improvement will be *much* smaller.
And that stuff has somehow to be integrated into the scene graph code (plib).

Btw., about half a year ago I installed OSG, but didn't reinstall it after
upgrading my system. It seemed to be *very* heavy-weight, but I didn't take
a closer look. I have no idea how it performs compared to plib's ssg.

Being still quite new to FG, I'm afraid that I'm generating too much newcomer
noise on Flightgear-devel. If that is the case, please tell me (if possible, without too
much harsh wording). I like this project very much, and for me fiddling with source
code is at least as much fun as running the binaries.

Horst