Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers wrote:
Hi guys,

First post on the mailing list after lurking for a while. My name is Jeroen
Hoppenbrouwers and I have been active for about five years in a niche of the
flight sim world, the (very active) community around Aerowinx 747-400
Precision Simulator (www.aerowinx.com). This is an extremely detailed
systems and IFR sim, with nearly no outside view.

I wonder about two things:

1. Many people nowadays slave the Microsoft sim to PS1 to get a full outside
   view on a secondary system without having to "fly" the MSFS. This gives
   them best of both worlds. I wonder whether FlightGear at present time
   would be capable to fulfill the role of a scenery generator?

Yes, it has been used for that in other projects. http://flightgear.org/Projects/

2. I saw comments about VATSIM/IVAO floating by. I wrote a fully certified
   client for both networks that is built in such a way that connecting it
   to FlightGear should take an hour at most (www.hoppie.nl/sb747). Would
   there be interest to do this and offer it to VATSIM/IVAO for re-certifi-
   cation (re-, as the base software won't change at all)? Portability is no
   issue as everything is in Tcl/Tk -- however we still suffer from the
   "security by obscurity" dogma of both networks, so I can't release all
   sources just yet.

I don't find it very useful if it can't be made available for all of FlightGear's supported platforms.

If you browse my site, you might find other goodies that could be
interesting for FlightGear. I won't do MSFS, so it looks like I'm stuck with
you for a while   :-)

Good to hear :)

Erik