Paul Surgeon wrote:
I just noticed that there are already similar textures like savanna, desert, desert1 and wash.

The question I now have is why are all the hills East of SFO mapped to tundra?!
I've looked at aerial photos of SFO and tundra is definately the wrong type of land cover.
The texture I created comes from textures around Concorde which a few clicks West of SFO.

If you look at materials.xml you will see this:

<material>
 <name>GrassCover</name>
 <name>BareTundraCover</name>
 <name>HerbTundraCover</name>
 <name>MixedTundraCover</name>
 <texture>Terrain/tundra.rgb</texture>

This means that all material named <name> are tied to the same texture.
You could try to move the appropriate name into it's own section with a reference to your texture file.

Erik