I've been playing with modeling St. Elmo's Fire as an instrument:

http://home.comcast.net/~davidculp2/stelmo-clear-sky.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~davidculp2/stelmo-in-clouds.jpg

which is convenient, but has some problems.  The main problem here is that
it's barely visible inside of clouds, where one would expect to see it.  If I
change the time-of-day to something darker the panel code darkens and redens
everything, which ruins the effect.

Then of course there's the problem of setting up a boolean property that
randomly, and rapidly, is "true", in order to model "flickering".

My questions are:

  Is there an alternate method to model St. Elmo's Fire?

  Can the instrument darkening/redening be turned off per-instrument?

  Should we have a seperate screen-drawing subsystem that draws "windscreen
effects", like St. Elmo's Fire, rain, snow, glare?

Dave