Boris Koenig wrote:

> My first VERY simple *guess* would be that it might be because of an
> imbalance in inertia of a compasses moving parts as soon as the pitch
> changes accordingly.

It has to do with the fact that a whiskey compass has it's magentic
'detector' mountet parallel to the earth magnetic field of that area
where the aircraft is supposed to be operated ....  which means the
detector has some orientation that is anything but parallel to the
surface:

  http://www.phy6.org/Education/wfldline.html

When you bank the aircraft then you'll encounter that the compass does
not only point to the magnetic north, adding to that the 'detector'
tries to orientate parallel to the magnetic field - which doesn't
matter as long as you fly straight because the compass is adjusted
accordingly.

This results in the turning error,

        Martin.