On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:21:15 -0500, David Megginson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Obviously, when the dip is over 70 degrees, it doesn't take a steep
> turn to cause this effect.  The question is, does the compass "hang
> up" (i.e. bind and refuse to turn), or does it swing around?  If it
> hangs up, that would explain why I haven't noticed the effect.
>
> Any comments from other pilots on the list, especially those who fly
> north of 40 in North America?

I was one a short cross-country this afternoon just before the wet
snow and ice pellets came in.  On my way into the airport about 15 nm
back, I realized that I was almost exactly on a 270 degM heading, so I
tried some quick (too fast to show up on radar) left and right banks.
In a left 20 degree bank, the magnetic compass does, in fact, reverse,
but not all the way to 90 -- in my case, it swung south/east as far as
120 deg.

It's kind-of cool, actually, to be able to observe magnetic dip
directly that way -- flying west and banked 20 degrees left, the
magnetic flow towards the pole was actually off my *left* elbow!

All the best,

David

--
http://www.megginson.com/