Paul,
        You may want to look into the gluUnProject(...) function.
Aaron

At 04:29 PM 11/4/2004, you wrote:
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense to me now.
I'll see what I can glean from the PPE code.

On Thursday, 4 November 2004 23:06, Norman Vine wrote: > RE: [Flightgear-devel] Screen to cartesian co-ords? > If you have enabled DepthBuffer operations in OpenGL > the rasterizing process keeps track of the depth component > of each pixel in the ZBuffer. > > Note this won't work to well with wireframe and that the > Z component is the distance from the eyepoint > > ===== > > For an example that does this using SSG > > PPE keeps track of the position for a 3d Cursor > > $PPE_SRC / src / viewer / ppeViewerDraw.cxx / ppeViewer::update_3D_cursor() > > Note I am quite swamped with work and won't have time > to explain the PPE code but you have the source :-) > > http://prettypoly.sourceforge.net/ > > Norman