Chris Metzler wrote:

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 23:07:01 -0800
"Dale E. Edmons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chris Metzler wrote:

What I can tell you, though, is that DRI and OpenGL support for Matrox
cards under Linux sucks rocks. First of all, Matrox' drivers are open,
and their proprietary HAL module doesn't really buy you anything, so

No real arguments here, but there is useable code for the card in the native X11.

Sure; it's just broken. The DRI project people agree that it's broken; they just don't have anybody that can fix it right now (or, rather, didn't as of late summer. things may have changed).

for just a taste. There's a lot more there too. Personally, I had
constant hard lockups requiring a full system reset, with lots of
DMA idle timeout messages to my X log, whenever I tried flightgear
for very long with the Matrox card. From other messages in the Matrox

Sounds like the ASUS (junk!)  motherboard I had.  My 1GHz athalon on its

ASUS
board sits collecting dust (it doesn't even do that very well). The G450 I have is very
robust as is the code. I run Debian Linux without a single lockup in over a year now.

Hmmm, well, yes, this is with an Athlon (XP 2000+) on an Asus a7v333.

My old one was an Athlon based 1GHz machine. I've been told its not a reliable combination (ASUS/Athlon). AMD wouldn't speak to me about it except to say, "ASUS is not one of the recommended motherboards." If you have the card, try it in another machine.

However, the exact problem I encountered with the Matrox drivers has
been reported by several other people on e.g. the X.org and DRI project
bugzillas, and they weren't running Asus motherboards.  And when I
dumped the G550 for a GF4 Ti4600, I never had another problem.

Mine's a G450. Similar, but not identical. My card is good and motherboard bad.
Similar, but different problems. So people should stay away from Matrox's except the
G450 if they can even pick one up anymore, and of course, some ASUS motherboards. :)

Dale