On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 11:09:55 +0000 (GMT), Paul wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  --- Innis Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Why not have both? My 3 year old PeeCee has plenty of
> horse power left and a flying aircraft without a pilot
> looks rather odd to me.
>
> If people don't like eye candy then let's make a way
> to switch it off but why take the eye candy away from
> people who want it?
>
> People use FG for many different reasons. Some are
> only interested in hardcore aspects like accurate
> instrument approaches and FDMs while others want to
> use FG just for the joy of flying.
>
> > So if the todo list is to be realisitic should it
> > not contain only the
> > things that are missing on the real
> > aircraft not a list of things that are neither
> > available yet in FG (eg
> > lighting) or never part of the  real aircraft in the
> > first place.
>
> Lighting is important. How can one use FG for night
> training at the moment if you can't see the ground
> properly? Why even bother with runway and taxiway
> lights then?
> I would love to see decent lighting added.

..eh, in RL, you often _can't_ see the ground at night, just lights.
For example, do we properly model the impact on night vision
from hypoxia?

..hypoxia: Reduced blood oxygen saturation, in unpressurized
aircraft without oxygen, night vision is the first loss, it is typically
lost somewhere between 1500 to 3000m altitude, off the top of my
shaky memory.  Turning on oxygen basically "turns on" the night
vision, up to those higher altitudes where blood oxygen falls to
"air 1500 to 3000m", AFAIR.

..on modeling, lung CO2 and vapors is typically 42 and 40 hPa(?),
CO2 is what controls respiration on us mammals, it varies on respiration
and mild hyperventilation, you typically have 2 - 3% in your lungs,
for medical purposes such as curing CO poisoning, 7%CO2 and
93% oxygen drops you from lethal CO blood levels to a healthy
level in about 25 minutes.

..if you play with CO gas, medics will commonly terrorize your family
for a full day pumping you full of pure oxygen and you can often beat
them by a few minutes with some air in a common plastic bag.  ;-)
When you hold your breath, you will feel pain at around the 5 or
6% CO2 level.  So, while people who passes out will benefit from
an adrenalin injection, those who feels the 7% torture, will be, if
not feel ok ;-),  the idea is speed up cell combustion and respiration
to "flush out" the CO, and both the 7% CO2 and the adrenaline does
just that job.

..lung water vapor content is always saturated at 37 centigrades for
healthy humans lungs and can be seen as a constant variable.

..oxygen can be anywhere between 200 hPa to 4000hPa, below that
range or "above that altitude", hypoxia sets in, above that range or
"below that dive depth", the hemoglobine "rusts"; each hemoglobine
molecule takes up 2 more oxygen atoms and "locks up", this is also
known as "oxygen poisioning."  Eh, looks like I got carried away.  ;-)

..one good thing about modelling night vision loss, is it means
less rendering work and higher framerates, AFAICT.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: