Christian Mayer wrote:

NURBS aren't good conditioned. That means that depending on the input data it can easily happen that your result will be rubbish.

I'm not married to nurbs, but I'm looking for a way to fit a smooth curved surface through a set of points. The nurbs++ library is what I found first, but the more I dig into it, the more problems I find with it.

What you might try is putting a bezier patch through the points. The Bezier curve guarantees you that it won't leave the convex hull of your points. But it won't go through your controll points (what you actually want to achive to smooth your data...)
And IIRC bezier curves are good conditioned.

How would I determine the control points?

Well, googling for "bezier 2d" gave me:

http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~matt/courses/cs563/talks/surface/bez_surf.html
(not exactly what you are looking for, but it looked like an easy to read "memory refresher")

It would be great if I didn't have to write and debug my own bezier library, are you aware of any existing code that could help me out here?

Thanks,

Curt.