Norman Vine wrote:

> Martin Spott writes:
> >
> > "Norman Vine" wrote:
> >
> > > I would suggest adding them to a PostGIS database which when
> > > appropriately indexed has *quick* respones.
> > > http://postgis.refractions.net
> >
> > Is there a converter which generates SQL-scripts for PostGIS similar to
> > 'shp2pgsql' ?
>
> see ogr2ogr utility that comes with GDAL
> to convert from tiger to shape

Actually it looks as if ogr2ogr can now go directly from tiger to pgsql

$ ogr2ogr
Usage: ogr2ogr [-skipfailures] [-append] [-update] [-f format_name]
               [-select field_list] [-where restricted_where]
               [-spat xmin ymin xmax ymax] [-preserve_fid] [-fid FID]
               [-a_srs srs_def] [-t_srs srs_def] [-s_srs srs_def]
               [[-dsco NAME=VALUE] ...] dst_datasource_name
               src_datasource_name
               [-lco NAME=VALUE] [-nln name] [-nlt type] layer [layer ...]]

 -f format_name: output file format name, possible values are:
     -f "ESRI Shapefile"
     -f "TIGER"
     -f "S57"
     -f "MapInfo File"
     -f "DGN"
     -f "Memory"
     -f "GML"
     -f "PostgreSQL"

If you have troubles ask over on the GDAL or PostGIS lists

Cheers

Norman