Giles Robertson wrote:

I think that's a result of the standard problem that if you move the
view with the mouse in 2d panel mode, you can't see the panel, and it
can be very difficult to get back to the original location; resetting
resets the viewpoints back to normal, and the panel reappears.

Do you get any actual graphical corruption (which is what I get - all
triangles seem to be drawn to infinity - everything comes from a point
at the centre of the screen)

In mouse-pans-view mode, you can simply left-click to recenter the view, then you can get the 2d panel back. As it stands, the 2d panel isn't displayed when you pan the view.