Lee Elliott wrote:
On Monday 22 November 2004 22:43, Boris Koenig wrote:

Curtis L. Olson wrote:

I think step #1 needs to be making aircraft relocatable.

If I did get everything right, the major problem is that aircraft rely on instruments and other devices that reside in abitrary locations within the $FG_ROOT directory structure.

As a workaround it might really be already sufficient to
simply use a bunch of variables that simply refer to $FG_ROOT
- that way there wouldn't be any messing around with relative
paths - rather, FlightGear itself would simply look for a
supported environment variable such as $FG_INSTRUMENTS or
$FG_AIRCRAFT and would automatically return a corresponding
such as $FG_ROOT/data/Instruments or $FG_ROOT/data/Aircraft.

This is really no big deal and would essentially allow
Aircraft to reside anywhere - right ?

Alternatively, one could also decide to use the Property Tree
to store the absolute paths, so that these can be dynamically
modified at runtime - if necessary.

Then step #2 and beyond could be coming up with an a
useful/interseting categorization, organization, and
filtering scheme.

I think this would be mainly about providing additional tags that support specification of the <type> of aircraft, number of <engines>, the <engine_type>, possibly using also data such as weight, pax etc.

--------
Boris

Well, someone has to suggest it... :)

...perhaps some rdbms code has to be integrated into FG.

The downside would be that an installer/un-installer would become a necessity.

Not necessarily. At run time, FG could look for info in each aircraft's set file that names objects available for export and their paths relative to the set file. Then it builds a db. When a plane is loaded and needs an external resource, it's either in the db or not. Yes, I know that this would really slow startup times.

Josh

At a minimum, only the paths need be stored, together with the classification tags, but who could resist the temptation of storing absolute a/c components...

Only joking folks:)

LeeE