On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:51:40 -0600, Curtis wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Ron, for what it's worth RH 7.2 is *really* old, and gcc-2.96 was kind
> of a half-baked cvs snapshot that RedHat grabbed for various
> [debatable] reasons.  It had a lot of bugs and caused a lot of grief

..staying with this old un-updated RH-7.2 might be _the_ way
to help Microsoft prove "Wintendo is safer than Linux!".  ;-)

> for a lot of people.  If upgrading is any kind of option, I would

..try a live cd, Knoppix.net for details, docs etc, if you like it, just
install it off the cd to harddisk.  After that, updates are a breeze,
" apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade ; apt-get autoclean " instead of
those mile long "rpm -Uvh *.rpm " trashed guess command lines.

> highly recommend upgrading to something newer.  There are a lot of
> good options these days, Fedora, Debian, RedHat, Suse, Mandrake, etc.
> etc. etc.  Personally, I've been fiddling with Fedora Core 2/3 lately
> and have been pretty happy with it.  I've managed to find a couple
> annoyances, but generally it's a *lot* (and I can't emphasize the word
> *lot* enough) better than RH 7.2/7.3.

..I'm told Fedora Core 1 Legacy (FC1L) is better than Fedora Core 2
(FC2), how does Fedora Core 3 compare to those?

> I still run Debian for my servers, but for a desktop machine, Fedora
> Core is pretty good.  I realize that doesn't help your immediate
> problem (which I don't have an answer for), but if there is any
> possible way for you to upgrade, I think you will be a *lot* happier.

..I use Debian for everything, and hook people with DamnSmallLinux.org
and clusterKnoppix, if you're a Linux newbie, you wanna go the Knoppix
route to Debian, if you're a seasoned Red Hat guy, you wanna go the FC1L
route until Curtis convinces me FC3 is better than FC2 and FC1L.

..Fedore also has the netselect and apt-get magic now, but only a
fraction of the software Debian has available.  Myself, I went from
Red Hat to Debian before Fedora and Knoppix rose out of the dust,
and spent the last 1.5 year or so unlearning the RedHat-isms.  ;-)

> Also, don't forget that you need decent 3d hardware acceleration to
> run FG which for most people probably means an nvidia or ati card that
> was built this century.  I don't know how well modern nvidia/ati cards
> can be made to work with the really old kernel you must have if you
> are running RH 7.2.

..this is on an old box, Ron?  Fedora Core 2 is _heavy_ for boxes
of RH-7.2 vintage, IMWEWFC2.  (I spent a week getting a lan test
box working good enough for delivery before the client told me
"But Debian is okay with me."  Duh!   ;-)  )

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: