Gerhard,

For what it's worth, there are several FreeBSD patches in the current CVS tree to work around some of the issues you encountered. If you are able to get a usb joystick to work under FreeBSD with FlightGear, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Curt.

Gerhard Wesp wrote:

Hi all,

well, I ditched all Linux/Solaris/IRIX... variants and finally arrived
at FreeBSD and now I'm happy :)

Nevertheless let me shortly tell you about my experiences.

Objective:  Set up a PC with a Nvidia graphics card and install
FlightGear-0.9.6 on it.  Need source code distribution in order to hack
FlightGear.

Step 1.  Install FreeBSD (5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE).  Works as
advertised, automagically detects almost all hardware, X11 works almost
out of the box.

Step 2.  Configure X11 to use NVIDIA driver.  FreeBSD provides a package
for this.  Need to know that kernel sources have to be installed, after
that it's a matter of ``make install'' and voila.  Small problem with
libm.so.2 not being available.  libm.so.3 can take its role.

Step 3.  FreeBSD provides pre-built packages for openal and plib.
Installing these works straightforward.

Step 4. Download SimGear and FlightGear sources, unzip and compile.
Observations for SimGear:
The configure script appears to be broken (doesn't check for openal):
g++ -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o openal_test1 openal_test1.o
../../simgear/debug/libsgdebug.a -lm gives an error because openal isn't linked. Added it in Makefile as a
quick hack.

C++ error at screen/extensions.cpp:116:  dlerror() returns char const*
 and not char*.  Straightforward fix: Replace by

       char const *error = dlerror();

FlightGear:

configure script doesn't seem to check for usb libraries:
Symptoms:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libplibjs.a(jsBSD.o)(.text+0xb02): In function
`jsJoystick::rawRead(int*, float*)':
: undefined reference to `hid_get_data'

../../src/Main/libMain.a(main.o)(.text+0x124f): In function `fgMainLoop':
/usr/local//include/simgear/sound/soundmgr_openal.hxx:194: undefined
reference to `alListenerfv'

Brief manual research reveals that this function is in libusbhid, which
I add maually to the Makefile.  Same thing for openal.

First run of fgfs:
Unable to open aircraft directory.

The prototype of a not very helpful error message :-).  Which directory
exactly are you trying to open and why the h*ll can't you?  Educated
guess: ulOpenDir() (plib) tries to open() the directory in read-write
mode.  Running fgfs as root works around the problem.

open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
Well, I could't care less :-)  Glad that fgfs nevertheless continues to
start up.

Finally, I fly a short round in the Cessna and, on the same hardware as
my XP system, fgfs is _much_ more responsive and also seems more stable.

Tomorrow I'll know more!

Thanks and best regards
-Gerhard