Melchior FRANZ wrote:

* Curtis L. Olson -- Sunday 12 December 2004 22:08:

We already have FG_ROOT which I think is essentially what you intend for FG_HOME

No. Paul wants to store user specific information. Users cannot write to FG_ROOT.
It's not owned by the fgfs user and may not even be mounted RW.

IMO this should be discussed very carefully before proceeding. What data do we want to write out? What section of the code will do the writing.

I'm not opposed to using a ~/.fgfs/ directory. Perhaps we should have a ~/.fgfs/settings.xml file instead of a ~/.fgfsrc, if we wanted to make this writable, then perhaps the first time FG is run, it would create this directory and copy in a default template file. We would also want to have a "restore defaults" option available. But to really do this, we would probably want a more consistent/coherent way to set options within FG ... perhaps we could start to move some fgrun functionality (the part the sets various options inside FG.) We should probably look at sorting/grouping the options a bit more and pehaps explaining them a bit more. This would be a very large gui task ... but certainly would be nice to have.