Hi Jon,

output laterally, on the pedals, and front/back on the stick. I think that's
why the
control law diagrams I have seen use pilot stick force as the input unit. One
hundred
percent of the control law diagrams I have seen that include pilot inputs use
force.

Once more, do not make general statements, based on a few examples. There are _many_ FCS's out there, not using input you just described. Fore examples, take a look at the "Flight control and simulation", the book with examples that are completely based on F16 dynamics.

cheers,
Gordan