> From: "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:08:51 -0600
> To: FlightGear developers discussions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Re: Flightgear-devel Digest, Vol 20, Issue 45
>
> Jon Stockill wrote:
>
>> Thomas Förster wrote:
>>
>>> I also thought about this as an option for a GUI. The main advantage
>>> would be that this approach ensures there's no GUI code in FG and
>>> there is a well designed API/Protocol to it. Writing alternative
>>> GUI's should be easy using that API/Protocol. Having the GUI
>>> seperated also makes it easy to distribute the apps across machines,
>>> i.e. having a simulator with an instructors workplace (changing
>>> weather, fail engines...)
>>

>> With the added advantage of not bloating the simulator - gets my vote.
>>

> For what it's worth, I think that some sort of minimal built in gui for
> FG is still a good idea.  FG already provides a lot of support for
> developing an external gui (i.e. for an operator/instructor station.)
> I have done exactly this for the ATC flight sim single engine trainer
> and it works quite well.
>
> The only issue is that for single PC, home users who aren't immensely
> computer savey, starting up multiple apps concurrently can be a bit
> tricky ... especially in a multiplatform / portable context.
>
> Curt.
>
> --
> Curtis Olson        http://www.flightgear.org/~curt
> HumanFIRST Program  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/
> FlightGear Project  http://www.flightgear.org
> Unique text:        2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d

> 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d

But cross platform support gets more difficult.  This is somewhat
demonstrated by the issues that someone is having right now getting fgrun to
compile and build.  By keeping a single application there is a bunch of
support, and a bunch of drive to keep the code base working across
platforms.  If the code splits into a bunch of different applications then
people are needed to build/test/support each separate app. on each platform.
In theory that should not be that hard, but in reality, I believe, no one
has yet built fgrun for the Mac...

--Adam