On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:23:29 -0600, Curtis L. Olson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> .ssg format is basically a binary memory dump of the internal ssg
> structures.  This has some advantages within plib-based applications,
> but it would be tough to build an exporter from a non-plib application.
> It would be a lot simpler to build a plib-based converter, but then
> you'd need to be able to read the source format into plib anyway.  .ssg
> is extremely non portable, and would make it very difficult for people
> to edit the models with any non-plib based modelers, and I'm not aware
> of any plib-based modelers that are far enough along to be useful.  I
> think we would do better to stay with high level 3d formats.

I know that no one particularly loves VRML, but it is text based (like
AC3D) and open.  As long as we're just doing textured and tinted
meshes, with the more complex stuff (like animations) in external XML
files, is there any good reason *not* to go with VRML, especially
since we can compress the files on disk with gzip?

All the best,

David

--
http://www.megginson.com/