"Curtis L. Olson" wrote:

> [...]  Also we need to figure out how to interpolate different cloud
> layers and coverages.

That's exactly the problem I was pointing at. I have started digging
through my meteo textbook and it appears to me that presumably more
different phenomenons that might follow each other in METAR reports
where we might face the problem of not having an unambiguous
transitional stage - although maybe they are currently not utilized
within FlightGear (there's currently no rain in FG, is it ?),

Martin.