On Wednesday 05 Jan 2005 15:12, David Megginson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:02:22 +0000 (UTC), Martin Spott
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Unfortunately the conversion produces horrible costs ....  this might
> > lower in the future because the way the engine is being assembled is
> > going to be changed,
>
> Lowering the conversion costs will help.  Another point might be
> marketing position: right now, I can install a 135 hp Thielert in my
> Warrior that will give me more-or-less the same performance as the 160
> hp Lycoming currently in it, only burning about 35% less fuel.  Most
> North American owners would be more interesting in performance --
> selling a 180 hp engine that makes my Warrior fly like a Cherokee 236
> (20 kt faster, much bigger useful load) with the same amount of fuel
> I'm currently burning would be much more interesting.
>

> All the best,
>

> David

Thielert have recently had their 4.0 V8 Turbodiesel certified and it will be
coming to market soon.

The 4.0 V8 is aimed at the market of the Continental TSIO 550 (Think Cessna
T210 etc) and will have 310HP; as with the TAE-125 there will be additional
performance over the TSIO 550 due to the extra torque available.

Apparently this engine runs *strictly* on JET-A1; something that may happen
with the TAE-125s which have been cracking cylinder-heads when used with
automotive diesel and flown regularly in the circuit.

Dave Martin