On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:30:04 -0000, Jim wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Erik Hofman said:
>
> > Jim Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > Unzip is an archiver and runs on just about anything.  Comes with
> > > several linux distributions as well.
> >
> > Yes, but not all. That's the point. Should we honor Windows users
> > where  there are some version of windows that ship with an ZIP
> > extractor or  honor the UNIX world that comes standard with tar and
> > gzip?
> >

> http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html
>
> Is that less "all" than gzip?  I think we should honor windows users
> because like it or not (I don't like it myself) they are 90%+ of the
> users out there.
>  That would not be the case with flightgear because we haven't made it
> particularly easy for Windows users (non-developers on any os) to use
> the program (the windows installer is fairly recent).

..can this installer be set up to use it's own temporary ".exe"-style
decompression tools using GNU gunzip, GNU tar etc?

> Zip files are everywhere, we aren't going to get sued for using them,

..no? ;-)  Never heard of The SCO Group and Microsoft?
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20041228040645419 or
http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=2005010107100653
and http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2005010406110017

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: