[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:
> Thanks Christian and Chuck,
>
> I think Linux would be the most direct but my comfort level
> diminishes rapidly.

Nowadays Linux is much more userfriendly than what people think.
But I can understand that you'll only want to tackle one "problem" at once.

> I would appreciate an opportunity to review the
> MSVC++ path if I can get together with Chuck.

You could try to write down the detailed steps you took to compile FGFS
and thus produce an HOWTO that we can put on the homepage for others.

So you should get a recent MSVC and all the source code first.
I usually create one directory where I unpack all the libraries in
subdirectories.

E.g.

C:\projects
C:\projects\plib\...
C:\projects\SimGear\...
C:\projects\FlightGear\...

Then I try to compile the libraries according to their dependencies
(zlib, plib, simgear)

And at last flightgear itself.

So that was what should happen (and what worked back in 2000/2001 for me...)
The real life might be a bit more complicated - but the general
direction will be the same.

CU,
Christian

PS: If anybody is wondering why I've got so much time to answer mails:
when you are working on your master thesis you've got time for
everything but the stuff you should actually do...