Christian Mayer wrote:

Jon Berndt schrieb:

Culminating more than four years of processing data, NASA and the National
Geospatial-Intelligence Agency have completed Earth's most extensive global topographic
map.

Great!!!

To view a new fly-over animation of New Zealand on the Internet, visit
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/ .

The flyover is very disappointing. Our old DEM could easily create the same results.

A bit more interesting is the high-res (4500x5800 pixel) shaded picture
of New Zealand.

But I wonder what the smoothed stuff around Milford Sound is.

Probably it's due to shading/reflections of the radar beam. Milford
Sound is a fjord, where you have drops from ~2000 Meters stright down to
the sea! (Oh, and they have very tasty crayfish in there that I had the
pleasure to catch while scubadiving...)

When will be the secenery for New Zealand be created? So we can have a
look at the data at Milford ourselfs.

Ah, there's also an airport at Milfors Sound, that can be a great
starting point:
http://www.world-airport-codes.com/new-zealand/milford-sound-airport-4721.html

(It must be a spectacular flight to and from Milford Sound)

Not yet officially announced, but try:

   http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/scenery-0.9.7.html