Paul Surgeon wrote:

> What I can't figure out is why people insist on running FG on ancient *nix
> boxes at 3fps when they can get a really cheap PeeCee that will do the job 10
> times faster.

Maybe because FlightGear is not the primary application on their
desktop. A used Octane for example definitely has some features
that you won't get on any other platform without spending lots of money
(running FrameMaker, reading audio DAT tapes without the need of
external hardware, easy handling of files of serveral hundred megabyte
size).
Even having an OpenGL/GLUT reference platform at hand apparently proves
to be of use from time to time in order to determine if the application
is at fault or Mesa/DRI/whateverGLUT ....

Martin.