David Megginson wrote:
Currently, FlightGear (SimGear, actually) always sets visibility to
near-nil when the plane is inside a cloud layer -- obviously, the
right and proper solution is 3D clouds, but until we have that
working, or at least until we can detect whether the plane is actually
near the cloudy part of a texture, I suggest that we do not limit the
visibility when the cloud coverage is under 50% (i.e. scattered, few,
or clear).

This is due to a faulty SGSky::modify_vis() function. Actually it has been broken since early 0.7.x as I recall it. I've never remembered to look at it prior to a release, but I would recommend to fix that function rather than to apply any kind of hack.

Erik