On Thursday 13 Jan 2005 22:45, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Dave Martin wrote:
> >Having experience of google adwords myself, I'd just like to make an
> >observation:
> >
> >If you have a well designed website (such as flightgear.org) where all
> >information is clearly laid out and you didn't employ any 'tricks' to make
> >someone arrive at your site.....
> >
> >...chances are the 'visitor' has already found all the information they
> > want and will not follow an ad link.
> >
> >As far as I can see, to actually produce revenue from adwords, you must
> > need an annoying site that spams keywords to get page-views and hope that
> > people will click the ads in self-defence just to get away from your site
> > ;-)
>
> Here is a screen shot of about as unobstrusive of an add as I can
> configure:
>
>     http://www.flightgear.org/~curt/tmp/fgfs-ads.jpg
>
> I did a quick test and I see that we would mostly be advertising MSFS
> related stuff, I'm not sure I like that or not. :-)
>
> I may fiddle with a few other things in the short term ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Curt.

I'd avoid giving them 1st place on a side bar (breaks the site's 'feel')

Second or third on the sidebar so they're almost half way down on a 1024x768
browser window usually looks best.

The issue is that most people expect to find a menu of some sorts at the start
of the left-blocks.

Par example: A site that I designed and helped set up (looks a little dormant
just now): http://www.bounce-gaming.net

Dave Martin.