Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:05:26 +0100, Steven wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Citeren "Ampere K. Hardraade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On January 13, 2005 07:28 am, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:30:23 -0500, Ampere wrote in message

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On January 12, 2005 08:18 pm, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

..these guys use GPU's as math engines?

Why not? It makes sense.

As a classmate of mine pointed out: the GPU is just a chip for
matrix manipulations.

..aye. I'm just wondering how much work we can yank off the Control Process Unit and dump onto these General Purpose processing Unit_s_. ;-)

I was referring to Graphics processing units.

..me 2.  ;-)

Am I missing something here? :-\

A joke ;-) (see the ";-)" smiley of Arnt)

..well, all good jokes can't come up with a potential like the
http://gpgpu.org; your average recent GPU chews code 6 times faster than your average CPU. So, we can use part of the GPU to show pretty pictures, and the remainder, say "half", to say, triple FG framerates? ;-)

Are there any decent books about those Navier-Stokes equations and how

..chk these:
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/SDK/Individual_Samples/DEMOS\OpenGL\src\gpgpu_fluid\docs\GPU_Gems_Fluids_Chapter.pdf
(Yeah, those back-slashes worked in Konqueror!!! 8o))
http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Miscellaneous/Books/
http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Miscellaneous/Courses/
http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Miscellaneous/
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/SDK/Individual_Samples/samples.html#gpgpu_fluid
http://www.strangebunny.com/techdemo_stokes.php (arrrgh bummer, should have been done in OpenGL)
http://www.eet.com/in_focus/silicon_engineering/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55300900
http://www.eet.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55300904

..and you might wanna compare Microsofts take with the other guys:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Events/Conferences/GP2/program.shtml  ;-)

Thanks for the links! I'll look deeper into them after the exams.

to implement them in C or java?

..nonono, FG is C++ and will likely remain so for all sortsa good
reasons I was buried under when I asked "Why not C like in the
kernel?", an extensive discussion of the wisdom of writing Java code can be found over at http://Groklaw.net/, hints on "follow the money", also points towards Redmond and Lindon, Utah.

I knew that FG was written in C++ :-p. Problem is that I haven't been properly educated to program in C++ (yet).

Steven