maybe something like

static void fgIdleFunction ( void ) {
    // printf("idle state == %d\n", idle_state);

    if ( idle_state == 0 ) {
        // Initialize the splash screen right away
        if ( fgGetBool("/sim/startup/splash-screen") ) {
            fgSplashInit(fgGetString("/sim/startup/splash-texture"));
        }

        idle_state++;
    } else {
        if ( fgGetBool("/sim/startup/splash-screen") ) {
            fgSplashUpdate(0.0, 1.0);
        }
    }
    if ( idle_state == 1 ) {