Oliver C. schrieb:

> Is it possible to implement a sort of virtual screen (like a texture but
> vector driven not bitmap driven) inside the Flightgear Window that can be put
> anywhere in the flightgear 3d world, for example inside of a cockpit as a
> instrument display.
> Flightgear should then offer this screen to outside applications and do the
> rendering  but the commands what should be rendered is given by the outside
> application which are running outside of flightgear?

In principle it is possible to set up the current OpenGL context to draw
 to an limited area and allow a plug in to render there.

But - probably - the better solution is to have the plugin code to
render to an off screen texture and use that dynamic texture as an
instrument.

I guess that that would be faster (no big changes in viewports, etc) and
create higher quality graphics (z buffer fighting, etc.)

> The commands that are sent to flightgear should be simple 2d vector
> primitives, to make sure that this solution is flexible enough to display
> everything.
> FlightGear receives the 2d vectors primitives and put those on a virtual
> screen inside the FlightGear 3d world. For example a screen display in the
> cockpit.

This is a totally different kind of problem. If the "plugin" is written
in C/C++ it should use OpenGL (OpenGL is fine as a 2D library and
there's no need to slow it down by wrapping it).

If the "plugin" is writen in NASAL then NASAL would need an OpenGL like
extension. That is - I guess - not hard to do. But - I guess - it'll be
too slow when the graphics gets complex.
I think the best would be, to add the OpenGL extension to NASAL (for
flexibility) *and* write the more complex things in native C/C++ and add
those to NASAL as well.

> Doing it this way would allow to do the complexity of such glass cockpits
> outside of flightgear.

As long as the interface to FGFS is clear and easy it doesn't matter
where the code lives.

> And if we change atlas from bitmap to vector graphics
> we could just sent from atlas the 2d primitives that flightgear could than
> render on a virtual screen inside flightgear.

Atlas is basically vector graphics. It tries really hard to generate the
bitmaps...

> As a 2d vector describing language we could use SVG.
> FlightGear then needs only a SVG parser that puts the visuals on a screen
> inside flightgear.

Atlas can already create SVG. (Or it could when I added the SVG output a
few years ago...)

> There are allready SVG libarys available that do render SVG primitives
> in OpenGL, maybe we could use such a library instead of writing an own SVG
> parser.

I don't think that that sould be a good solution.

It would be *much* better to use the geometry data that FGFS has already
loaded to the graphics hardware as it needs it for scenery.

CU,
Christian