On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:27:42 +0000, Lee wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

..this looong post with unsnipped quotes is a FG licensing FAQ
candidate, so I don't snip this time.

> On Thursday 20 January 2005 16:13, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:54:42 +0000, Lee wrote in message
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > > You're thinking too narrowly perhaps;)  Licences are not
> > > always wanted by many people - they can have a nasty habit
> > > for biting you on the back-side when you least expect it
> > > (not that I ever actually find myself expecting to be bitten
> > > on the bum).
> >
> > .. ;o)   FUD-meisters like to make that impression
>
> It's not just FUD.  If you fail to foresee all the possible ways
> that the work may be used the licence, by failure of omission,
> can specifically permit something that you don't want.

..such as?

> It's also a lot harder to change your mind once people have
> accepted conditions in a licence.

..ah, a feature.  ;o)

> I do want to make it clear that I'm not advocating the
> abandonment of licences, just that some people will see these
> issues as potential problems with using a clear and specific
> licence.

..

> > > If a work is created by someone there is no intrinsic need
> > > for a licence to allow other people to benefit from the work
> > > (except of course, where safety is likely to be an issue).
> > > I could make a paper aeroplane and give it to you for you to
> > > fly - you won't need a licence.  All you will need is for me
> > > to give it to you.
> >
> > ..an unlimited license, ok.  Who's paper you did fold? ;o)
>
> I'm reminded of Bruce Lee's 'no-style' style of martial arts:)
>
> But I didn't mean an unlimited licence, or any kind of licence at
> all.  It's just a permission to use.

..precisely that permission, is a license.  Licenses does not have to be
unlimited, and may even be conditional.  They cease being licenses and
become contracts as you require your contractual "licensee" to say or do
a certain act, such as click "ok" to enter into said contract.

..all Microsofts End User License Agreement's are contracts.

> > > But if I think that you will stick it up my sleeve and set
> > > fire to it, I won't give it to you.
> >
> > ..here we move towards Contract-land.  If you print your
> > license on my paper plane, does my acceptance or not on it,
> > have _any_ ramification on my receipt and use of that paper
> > plane?  Also, given my acceptance of your "license", I can
> > circumvent it by dipping it in turpentine, stick it up your
> > ass and light it up for such scientific purposes as recording
> > your rotation speed, climb-out angle, and ceiling.  ;o)
>
> :)
>
> One day you need to drive somewhere but there's a problem with
> your automobile.  If a friend offers to let you use their
> automobile do you demand a licence before accepting?

..that offer of a permission is an offer of a license.

> Would you then expect further use of the auto, depending upon how you
> manage to interpret the licence you demanded?

..you confuse licenses with contracts.  Very common, and what
FUDmeisters want happening.

> > > I can see why some people like that way of operating, even
> > > though I'm personally happy with the GPL.

> > > I control what I'm doing and what I've done but I have no
> > > control over what anyone else does with what I've released
> > > under the GPL.
> >
> > ..precisely, because their changes to your code is _their_
> > work.
>
> Yep.

> > > The problem I see with it is when people say that something
> > > _should_ be licenced under the GPL, or whatever licence one
> > > fancies.  If someone decides to release it under an 'open'
> > > or 'free' licence, then all well and good - everyone
> > > benefits - but if you start saying that it _should_ be so
> > > licenced then the person actually doing it has no choice and
> > > you've entered the realm of compulsion.
> >
> > ..ah, but for example the BSD type licenses _allows_ bad
> > people to skim off the good stuff _and_ change author credits
> > _and_ hide it as closed source _and_ charge for it.
> >
> > ..with the GPL, everything is in the open, that's why I say
> > "should GPL" and is happy to chew out etc anyone to make it
> > happen.  ;-)
>
> ..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt... ;-)
>
> As I've said, I'm happy to use the GPL for anything I do for FG.
> However, that's my choice.  I'm all for encouraging it's use for
> FG stuff too but I'm not at all happy with any form of
> compulsion - that's imposing your will on someone else.
>
> ...and there's too much of that already.

..I can agree, however when someone yells "Duck!" at you, which is
the prudent thing to do?  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: