On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:34:04 +0000, Jon wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Dave Martin wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 Jan 2005 19:35, Jon Stockill wrote:
> >
> > > I've recently produced a model of a wind turbine, which I'm in the
> > > process of adding to the scenery, but when they're clustered
> > > together in groups it looks rather unnatural as they're all
> > > spinning round in perfect synchronisation. Is it possible to
> > > introduce some random offset to make things look a little bit more
> > > natural? If so, how?
> >
> > If you're modelling them individually can you give them an angular
> > offset for  their starting point (of rotation?)
> >
> > Alternatively, would it be possible to use 2 or three versions of
> > the same  model with the initial rotation 'hard-coded' by the
> > modeller?
> >
> > Also, I was actually thinking about Wind Turbines earlier today; are
> > you  having them face into-wind and altering the rotation speed
> > depending on  windspeed? They don't vary that much in real-life

..this also depends on what kinda machine is driven by the mill and how
it is governed, some big old irons will run sync'ed to the grid, for
speed, divide 50 or 60 Hz by number of machine poles (2, 4, 6, ... 180
etc), asyncroneous machines will slip by some amount, and aren't too
popular by the utilities, as they need magnetic field power from their
grid.

> > (they are governed) but  obviously they stop at a certain point.

..they are usually stopped and feathered in heavy winds too, in light
winds, some produce electricity down to 2 to 5 m/s.

> At the moment they turn into wind, and spin at a speed proportional to
> the wind speed (they also only come in 1 size). Ultimately I'd like to
> have different sizes available, and implement the cut in/shut down
> speeds.

..are we far from having them feed power to the scenery grid?  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: