Christian Mayer wrote:

Martin Spott schrieb:

Christian Mayer wrote:

There are 3 possibilities

This is a bit different from the wind turbines we have near EDLN
(Cologne area). If the wind is too high they feather their blades but
still are being turned to face the wind - I think this is being
required by the layout of the hub structure.
When the wind is 'right' they rotate at a speed that is depending on
the wind speed. The conversion into alternating current of a fixed
frequency is being done electronically already for a looong time.

I think this applies to almost all German and Dutch wind turbines that
_I_ have ever seen (and I'm already in the mid-thirties) - not that I
claim to have seen all wind turbines in our country ....  :-)

Martin.

Ok, I had a look at wikipedia. The german article is quite large and has
a bit more information than the english one.

The most interesting bits for a model would be:

The highest efficiency is, when the tips of the blades run 8 times
faster than the wind speed.

Energy is produced in the range from 2 - 4 m/s to 25 - 35 m/s.
Below it's not efficient enough and the generator is cut from the net.
The rotor isn't braked though as it would produce too high forces (so it
rotates very slowly)

Above the speed it depends. Some turbines adjust the pitch (but still
face the wind) and others are turned out of the wind and their rotor is
fastened by a brake.

Modern turbines have a extra storm regulation that allows them to work
during a storm with reduced efficiency

Basicly the article said that every regulation that we can think of was
used somewhere... So we hardly can produce a modell that is totally off...

Well I started here:

http://www.bwea.org/

Which gave me a nice list of wind farms to work from.

Then these sites:

http://www.vestas.com/uk/Home/index.asp
http://www.bonus.dk/
http://www.enercon.de/en/_home.htm
http://www.gepower.com/businesses/ge_wind_energy/en/index.htm
http://www.nordex-online.com/

Will help fill in the details.

I figured once we had a basic model it wouldn't be too difficult to set the size and speeds according to the spec sheets.

--
Jon Stockill