I have never tried to build Atlas before, but just tried with this release.
I am working on a Mac and ./configure gives me the following errors:

checking for pthread_exit in -lpthread... yes
checking for glNewList in -lGLcore... no
checking for glNewList in -lGL... yes
checking for gluLookAt in -lGLU... yes
checking for glutGetModifiers in -lglut... no
checking for glutGameModeString in -lglut... no

Unable to find the necessary OpenGL or GLUT libraries.
See config.log for automated test details and results ...

In order to build flightgear, a little while ago, it was necessary to make a
few changes to the source code to get it to properly find GLUT stuff.  But
these changes are now all incorporated into FG.  These locations are now all
captured in simgear/compiler.h.
In the time that I have been working with the code, no changes were required
to the config stuff, only some of the paths in the source itself, now in
compiler.h.
The truth is that I have not done much with automake, so I am not really
sure how to go about fixing this.  But clearly something is different in how
Atlas checks for GLUT versus how Simgear and FG do it, since they succeed
just fine in finding and using that stuff.
If you can point me in the right direction I can try to work with it some
more.

Atlas looks very useful.

Thanks,

-- Adam