Oliver C. wrote:

Are there plans or better a planned release date
when the missing features will get added into plib?

You'll have to ask the plib people. Steve is very persnickety about this section of the code and I suspect he may not allow significant changes unless he does them himself, especially in the area of shaders. And he is another extremely busy person so who knows when that will ever happen.

But this is because of the landsat textures.

I was more interested in the engine itself.
At the moment we use generic textures to cover the whole world.
This approach is okay, because it allows us to keep the scenery data small.
But the thing that is missing at the current engine is multi texturing.
With multi texturing we could still use generic textures but
the scenery would look more diversified because multitexturing allows us to add random distorting textures to the base textures, the result is more variety. MS does use the same approach at their FS2004, but we can't use this at the moment because plib and the existing FG engine does not (AFAIK) support multitexturing.
The other nice things which the alternate Engine allows and are good
to have are the imposter in the background, VBO rendering etc.

So i was more thinking about using this new engine to render generic multitextured sceneries instead of large landsat images.
But of course it would also be good to be able to use landsat images
for selected areas like large cities.

Be a bit careful here. I've seen a demo of Manuel's engine and it was extremely impressive. However, it was only for a very small area. It's unclear if he's put any thought at all into paging textures or terrain data in real time without pauses. I also don't know how he handles his coordinate system and if he suffers map maker distortion problems, or if he can maintain a seamless wgs-84 oblate ellipsoid earth?

If he has all these things, then that's wonderful, he has done an impressive piece of work. I'm not trying to be critical here, I'm just pointing out that this is *very* difficult stuff. It's one thing to do a nice little demo, it's something else entirely to tackle all the issues of doing this in a full sim where you are trying to model the world seamlessly.

I understand.
Are there ways to follow the changes and engine integration?

I assume when something is workable, it will be in CVS.