I'm using the newest autotools and am getting a lot of warnings about
underquoted definitions.  Apparently GNU made a change recently.  Here is a
snippet from:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Extending-aclocal.html

Starting with Automake 1.8, aclocal will warn about all underquoted calls to
AC_DEFUN. We realize this will annoy a lot of people, because aclocal was not
so strict in the past and many third party macros are underquoted; and we
have to apologize for this temporary inconvenience. The reason we have to be
stricter is that a future implementation of aclocal will have to temporary
include all these third party .m4 files, maybe several times, even those
which are not actually needed. Doing so should alleviate many problem of the
current implementation, however it requires a stricter style from the macro
authors. Hopefully it is easy to revise the existing macros. For instance

     # bad style
     AC_PREREQ(2.57)
     AC_DEFUN(AX_FOOBAR,
     [AC_REQUIRE([AX_SOMETHING])dnl
     AX_FOO
     AX_BAR
     ])

should be rewritten as

     AC_DEFUN([AX_FOOBAR],
     [AC_PREREQ(2.57)dnl
     AC_REQUIRE([AX_SOMETHING])dnl
     AX_FOO
     AX_BAR
     ])

Wrapping the AC_PREREQ call inside the macro ensures that Autoconf 2.57 will
not be required if AX_FOOBAR is not actually used. Most importantly, quoting
the first argument of AC_DEFUN allows the macro to be redefined or included
twice (otherwise this first argument would be expansed during the second
definition).

If you have been directed here by the aclocal diagnostic but are not the
maintainer of the implicated macro, you will want to contact the maintainer
of that macro. Please make sure you have the last version of the macro and
that the problem already hasn't been reported before doing so: people tend to
work faster when they aren't flooded by mails.

Here's the first of the flood :)

Dave