Nick Coleman wrote:
I'm in the process of fine-tuning the behaviour of the ADF (src/Instrumentation/adf.cxx), maintained by David M.

One aspect of calculating the transmission range is the difference in elevation between the aircraft and the transmitter (aircraft at 10,000' get better reception than aircraft at 2,000').

Not necessarily true for the ADF. The normal Nav and Comm radios work in the (roughly) 108 to 136 MHz range, having a wavelength a bit under 3 meters. A typical ADF like the KR-86 covers 200 to 1799 kHz, with wavelengths from 167 m to 1500 m. Propagation conditions are much different in these 2 cases.

Currently, if the transmitter is higher than the aircraft, the elevation is capped at 200ft. Does anyone know why? (It has the effect of precluding transmitters on a hilltop from having a longer range than one on the flat.)

Actually a hill or mountain is usually a poor choice for a medium or low frequency (MF or LF) transmitter. At the longer wavelengths, it is commonly impractical or uneconomic to build an antenna on the order of 1/4 to 1/2 wavelength high. For a shorter antenna, the quality of the surrounding ground becomes more important to efficiency. A hill or mountain often exists because of underlying rock, and rock is generally a poor conductor, hence poor efficiency. A good site, particularly for the lower frequencies, is a salt marsh, which offers naturally better conductivity.

Also, I'd like to model the interference from a mountain range between the transmitter and the aircraft. My plan is to find if there is terrain higher than aircraft altitude in a line drawn from current position to transmitter position. I know nothing about OpenGL so any clues on how to do this are gratefully accepted. (I imagine that this effect could eventually be ported across to the VOR code too.)

To interfere with the signal propagation, an object generally needs to be large relative to the wavelength. This lets small hills and large buildings block VHF signals, hence the "line-of-sight" behavior. At the longer wavelengths of MF, it takes a pretty decent hill to have much effect, while in the LF range where many NDBs are placed, a pretty good sized mountain range is needed to have much effect.

Finally, I plan to model night-time increased range, which is easy enough.

Day to night propagation changes can increase range, but can also decrease it where the ground wave and sky wave interact to cause severe fading and a generally unreliable signal.

Any comments welcome, even "You're wasting your time, no-one uses the ADF anymore." ;)

Go for it, but be cautioned that the problem is more complex than it initially seems. The FAA recently announced plans to remove a long list of NDB approaches where GPS or other facilities make the NDBs redundant. Not mentioned is the likelihood that such unused NDBs will disappear. Other countries may still have need of ADF equipment for quite a while.

Nick

-- Bill Earnest [EMAIL PROTECTED] Linux Powered Allentown, PA, USA Computers, like air conditioners, work poorly with Windows open.