* Gerard ROBIN -- Friday 06 May 2005 15:11:
> Le vendredi 06 mai 2005 à 11:24 +0200, Melchior FRANZ a écrit :
> > No. There are only a few messages at strictly defined points. [...] The
> > only possibility for aircraft designers is to put a message into the
> > optional title (/sim/startup/splash-title).
> >
> The result is pretty good.

:-)

Maybe I should explain what the title is thought for: Umm ... for nothing
specific, actually. But I thought it might come in handy in some occasions,
for example:

- to display extra info in some distributions; could be the fgfs url for
  free give-away cdroms; the info would be in preferences.xml, but here's
  how it would look like:

  $ fgfs --prop:/sim/startup/splash-title=http://www.flightgear.org/

- to display some location info for fgfs installations
  ("Sikorsky Simulation Group" :-)

- other values/debugging stuff, e.g. "press ?-key for aircraft help", or
  values copied over via nasal script. (this appear only after Nasal was
  initialized, which is quite late!)

  setprop("/sim/startup/splash-title", getprop("/sim/description"));

- things that an aircraft designer wants to put there; should be used
  sparingly, though

Problems with the progress info:

- the splash screen is only updated whenever the text changes. So if you
  switch the virtual dekstop while the nav db is loaded, and immediately
  back, you may have to wait some seconds until the next update cycle

- the calculations for the geometry are based on /sim/startup/xsize & ysize
  These don't reflect the true window size if the window manager felt
  like not providing the requested size. So the text may end up cut off
  in some (hopefully) rare cases. I'll think about a solution.

Of course, the particular info text isn't set in stone, nor are the
position, color, font, fontsize. (But there's some reasoning behind each
of them: white seemed too obtrusive (and yellow fits the bo105 splash
screen ;-), smaller sizes and other fonts could quickly become unreadable.)

m.