On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 17:26, Dave Culp wrote:
> I don't think the Colditz Glider could do much soaring anyway :)

Funnily enough, it was the sight of snowflakes drifting upwards in the
air rising up the castle walls that gave Bill Goldfinch the idea of a
glider in winter 1943.

It wouldn't have been practical I'm sure, but given a suitable head-on
breeze, the pilot of the glider *could* have flown several passes
parallel to the castle walls in order to stay in the rising air for as
long as possible and gain height before trying to cross the town and the
River Mulde beyond.

In reality, the glider would have been spotted and shot at of course.
The pilot would have to get away from the castle walls as fast as
possible.

Steve