On Monday 16 May 2005 23:47, Lee Elliott wrote:

> > >Same here.  I don't get 3D clouds.  Using CVS from ten
> > > minutes ago.
> > >
> > >I set the weather scenario to "thunderstorm" and I get
> > > rain. I select "Enable 3d clouds" in the Rendering options
> > > dialog and nothing happens.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the new clouds don't work in 16 bit graphics
> > mode.  I have a laptop here I get to use once in a while and
> > that has to run at 16bit graphics ... no clouds.  I go down
> > to my desktop with 24/32 bit graphics and I have clouds.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Curt.
>
> Most definitely in 24 bpp here but still no go.
>
> I'll be able to test more systematically tomorrow.
>
> LeeE

I just got everything running on a different m/c, with plib,
SimGear & FlightGear compiled from the same cvs state as the m/c
with the problem and the latest 3d clouds work ok.

It looks like the problem is due to the graphics card & drivers.

The system that has the problem is fitted with an ATI 9200 256MB
card and I've had to use some drivers that I got via the
developers of the 3d s/w I use for their s/w to work correctly
(apparently there was a problem with GL threading in the
standard drivers).  As it took quite a lot of effort to get it
running and stable I've been reluctant to update so it's still
using pretty old s/w, albeit with current cvs stuff.

The system that works ok is fitted with a new nVidia 6600 256MB
card that I've just got to replace the ATI one.

Once I've replaced the ATI card on my main system I'll put it in
a backup W/S as it'll be less critical to run the 3d modeller on
it and I can afford to mess about with it more.

LeeE