Melchior FRANZ wrote:

> If I need elevation for the signs, I run fgfs solely for this purpose.
> Here it's easy: Just set /position/longitude-deg and /position/latitude-deg
> and wait until fgfs sets the appropriate /position/ground-elev-m for it.[1]
>
> It's not as much fun as it sounds, though:

I know, my suggestions might sound a bit boring. Still I'm convinced
that this might be a great job for a FlightGear apprentice developer.
In private conversation Frederic Bouvier once suggestet to pick the
appropriate FlightGear Scenery Designer sources and ....

"It shouldn't be too difficult. Just a matter of wrapping up the
FGSD_TriangleObject class into a main function."

Cheers,
        Martin.