Drew wrote:

FlightGear takes nearly a minute to start up from my Windows build,
and I'm just wondering if there's an easy way to shorten this if I'm
not using all of flightgear's features.  Is there one particular task
that takes particularly long?

Another problem not related to pure performance is that the first retrieval of metar data can block FG for a long time (perhaps one minute) when the metar server is not accessible (or when there is any network problem). The code does a lot of (useless) retries. Perhaps its simpler not to update the metar on IO error and continue silently.

Harald.