Did you download this file in binary mode ? The basic windows ftp client is in ascii when started and corrupt binary files with line endings conversion.

-Fred

Corrubia, Stacie K wrote :

I have been trying to build some scenery over some pretty mountainous
areas in California (w117n35) using SRTM 1 arcsec data.  I end up with
some very strange looking scenery with HUGE cliffs.
I wanted to compare the FG base scenery from the downloads but when I
tried to unpack the data ended up with the following error:
Under cygwin:
gunzip < w120n30.tgz | tar xvf -
 w120n30/
 w120n30/w116n30/
 w120n30/w116n30/1056256.btg.gz
 w120n30/w116n30/1056256.stg
 w120n30/w116n30/1056258.btg.gz
 tar: Skipping to next header
 tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data --format violated