Vance Souders wrote:

I want to implement an acrobatic AI autopilot and was debating a few different ways of tackling the problem. I was thinking of either creating a spline based system or tuning the current autopilot to fit my needs. In a spline based system, the user can sit in the cockpit as the plane “flies” the spline – if I do it this way, I would ignore the FDM and provide the gauges with bogus data that would most likely be interpolated from values specified at nodes along the spline. It seems to me that the spline system would be easier than getting the autopilot to do exactly what I need (precision formation flying, landing, taxiing).

I’m still investigating different ways of handling this, so I’m open to any suggestions people can provide.

I think it all boils down to what you want to accomplish. If you just need to see the aircraft going through the desired path then you could fake it ... but an autopilot that knows how to fly aerobatics would also be a really interesting project to tackle. It all depends on what you want to get out of it as the end result.