On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:26:58 -0500, Curtis wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Vance Souders wrote:
>
> > I want to implement an acrobatic AI autopilot and was debating a few
> >  different ways of tackling the problem. I was thinking of either
> > creating a spline based system or tuning the current autopilot to
> > fit  my needs. In a spline based system, the user can sit in the
> > cockpit as  the plane “flies” the spline – if I do it this way, I
> > would ignore the  FDM and provide the gauges with bogus data that
> > would most likely be  interpolated from values specified at nodes
> > along the spline. It seems  to me that the spline system would be
> > easier than getting the  autopilot to do exactly what I need
> > (precision formation flying,  landing, taxiing).
> >
> > I’m still investigating different ways of handling this, so I’m
> > open  to any suggestions people can provide.
> >

> I think it all boils down to what you want to accomplish. If you just
> need to see the aircraft going through the desired path then you could
> fake it ... but an autopilot that knows how to fly aerobatics would
> also  be a really interesting project to tackle. It all depends on
> what you  want to get out of it as the end result.

..I read him as wanting to do a RC F3A etc pattern work autopilot, this
can both drift with the wind, and crab upwind to stay in the box, say
taking a tournament program as input and just fly it, some guys fly
these for a living.  I managed to get my part of such a tournament
at least as expensive, I shut down town, as in half of the city.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: