Jon Berndt wrote:
Is the "ground cache" for the benefit of the FDM?

The FDMs are currently the only users of the groundcache, and yes, they
benefit from it. A lot. Per-wheel/contact-point ground awareness hadn't been
done before Mathias implemented the ground cache. And probably it would have
been a big performance problem to constantly do intersection test with the
whole tile. Still, I didn't mean to blame the problems on the FDMs. I just

What I was curious about was if per-wheel contact point checking was being done
when it
doesn't need to be done - that is, when the aircraft isn't even close to the
ground?

I'm not certain the area that the ground cache covers, but I suspect it has applications beyond just contact points. ISTR Lee was wanting to know ground elevation a distance ahead of the aircraft for the terrain following mode of the TSR2s autopilot - could this be used?

Jon