J. Couch wrote:

telnet to the /--telnet /port and type      ls -R

Aborts with a core dump and the message:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::string'

I've portmapped 24.5.33.32 5401    to the --telnet of the running fgfs
if you wanted to see it crash yourself. I've resorted to running fgfs
with a "repeat 1000 fgfs..." since it doesn't seem to get along very
well with freebsd.

I now have a new micro-control graphical console up under motif as well as
the text based one.

Hmmm, I think the code tries to make a property name out of the -R starting with the current path, so if you connect up and run ls -R it is trying to do an ls of the "/-R" tree. The code checks for a valid node and warns if it doesn't exist, but this particular name seems to be crashing the property system before it can return an error. The error message I get is:
"Unknown exception in the main loop. Aborting...
Possible cause: Connection refused"

Using gdb backtrace returned "no stack".

I hate throw/catch ... pretty much makes gdb useless for tracking down a bug. :-(